Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Teaching Yoga on Erb...
One of my students gave me really affirming feedback after class today. She said, “I love how your classes are always different, the theme is always new.” This was affirming because its something that I put a lot of effort into when I’m planning my classes. When I plan a class I usually start with a theme, often something that’s been on my mind that week. Then I think of poses and imagery I can use in my instruction that help convey my theme. I want every class to feel fresh, and have a different flavour. (Not just for my students, but also because I would find teaching the same thing every class incredibly dull!).
This week my theme was on community and interconnectedness and I had a lot of fun with it. I started off the class with foot stretching exercises that help you realize how the facia in your feet connect to the rest of you body all the way to the crown of the head. Then I incorporated partner poses through the class. This worked really well because in this class most people know each other a bit. It wouldn’t work in every class, but I think everyone had a lot of fun and helped to support each other in their own growth.
Also, the last two weeks I’ve introduced the Anusara invocation to my students and they’ve been really open and receptive to learning it. I can hear a number of them humming it as they leave. It’s pushed me to my edge and taken me a lot of practice to get over my fear of public signing. Thankfully the room I teach in has wonderful acoustics, and I actually don’t sound too bad.
you can hear the chant below...

No comments: